Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Communicating for health

I have been spending this week at the National Institutes of Health at the Dietary Supplement Research Practicum in Bethesda Md. It's been exciting. Along with colleagues from other learning institutions and backgrounds from other parts of the U.S. and from other countries we've heard from representatives of the government, the supplement industry, the food industry, the drug industry, academia, the politicians, and the  non-profit citizen protection organizations. The perspectives have been varied and have truly given me a new outlook on how complicated the world of dietary supplements can be and really is. 
But so far, what I'm really coming to realize is the importance of communication. Communication between health professionals and patients. If a doctor or nurse is going to really treat a patient effectively there has to be openness and a willingness to talk freely and listen totally on each side. Educators have to be open and willing to provide students with information and encourage them to think freely and critically so that they can be effective in researching and disseminating the information they find.  As a health and wellness consultant and college educator I know that I must not let the frustrations that I sometimes feel get the best of me, especially when trying to stress the importance of health and wellness. Ultimately, it will be worth it as long as I can get the positive message and emphasize the value and significance of communicating for health and wellness. 
What do you think?

Ruthy

2 comments:

Tamra Blanchard said...

As a student of Health and Wellness, I am noticing the importance of effective communication. I have an abundance of empathy towards others who reject unhealthy lifestyle changes to avoid catastrophic health conditions. I can not allow myself to judge or cause a defensive reaction. I try to work with my frustations and project a positve attitude and message without seeming too "fanatical" about health and wellness. It seems that there are many who think that reading labels, buying organic, etc. is "out there". I will focus on the objective with good intent.

Ruthy Watson, Ph.D. said...

Tamra,

I agree. If everyone took the time to read labels there would be a major uprising and change in the way and the types of food people buy and eat.

Thanks.