Monday, June 10, 2013

Stress Management 101: Tip for today - "Me time"

Time flies when your having fun is what people tend to say. That may be true but time changes when you're stressed. It can appear to go quickly or it can feel as though it has slowed down significantly. One of the most common barriers to effective stress management and self-care is the inability of individuals to take time for themselves. The reason most people don't take time for themselves is because of constant over scheduling, family obligations, work commitments, poor time management or lack of prioritization. So the perception is that there are "not enough hours in the day" to do everything that needs to be done and taking time out for oneself is not feasible. That is where the stress builds. Taking time for oneself allows the mind to renew and the spirit to regroup effectively. The end result is the ability to think clearly and engage in efficient problem solving. So, what do I think? Take brief 10 minute time-outs a couple times each day to get to a quiet place, meditate, turn the lights down low and do some deep breathing exercises. It will make a world of difference! Try it and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Jenn Maestro said...

Hello Dr. Watson!
Although I cannot say I take a lot of time throughout every day for "me", I make myself get up early and be at work by 0600. During the next two hours or so, I spend time on me, which usually consists of working out. If I need a break from working out, I spend time listening to music, watching the news, or doing some homework.
Even though I do not take time throughout the day specifically for me, I do know when it is time and make myself step out for a moment. Although it seems I am on high speed from the time I get up until the time I go to bed, I do not feel as stressed as others think I should be, but I attribute that to the two hour window I give myself every morning.
Early in my career I was told the most successful people get up early and spend that time for them, and I can say it is well used (and true, in my case) advice!
Warm Regards,
Jenn